Sunday, September 21, 2008

Big Black Horse and the Apple Tree

Poor Winston. Due to his chubbiness, he was moved from his lush green pasture with the apple trees and burdock to a dirt pasture where he recieves hay several times a day. There is but one apple tree in a far corner, under which he can often be found patiently and hopefully waiting for a brisk breeze (or me) to rustle the branches enough to dislodge an apple or two. Even more sad is the fact that there are several apple trees just over the fence from his new pasture, where he can smell the sweetness of the many apples that nobody picks.

Well, today I crawled through the fence and waded through the burdock to gather of few of these apples. There were many fallen apples that were sadly beyond saving.

The apples still on the tree looked a lot better from afar and I really could have used a ladder, but I managed to find just over a dozen decent little apples. Winston was happy that I brought a couple over the fence for him as well. To show his appreciation, he gave Noah a little ride, which Noah clearly enjoyed.

Back at home, I was afraid to cut into the apples for fear of what I would find inside.

After spending a good amount of time peeling and coring them, I had a long conversation with Dad about whether or not they were edible. Deciding that they probably were (I only found one little worm...just kidding!), I had an even longer conversation with Mom about how to make a pie. After consulting her 53 year old Betty Crocker Cookbook and adding a few tips of her own, she was able to talk me through the making of the pie, which I am pleased to present...

It turned out! And it tastes pretty good, too! Plus, there were enough apples left for a couple cups of applesauce, which Noah sampled for dinner and seemed to thoroughly enjoy. Sweet success!

-Jen

1 comment:

  1. JEN,
    The pie looks amazing.........
    Watch out Martha Stewart!!!!

    ReplyDelete